Deaconess & Mothers Mininstry

 Established:  March 11, 1942

 Purpose/Mission Statement: The Deaconess and Mother’s Ministry helps support the spiritual work for the church. They assist women and girls in getting ready for baptism, and assist in the preparations for our Holy Communion Services.

 Scripture: Titus 2:3-5 “The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness,  not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,  To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed . ”     

 Meeting Day/ Time/Location:  The Deaconess meets on the  Saturday before the 3rd Sunday at 10:00am in the Conference Room

 History

Both the Deaconess Ministry and Mother’s Ministry were formed early inBethany’s church history.  The following entry about the organization of the “Mother’s Ministry” was found in the minutes taken from a March 11, 1942, church meeting. By motion, the church voted to organize a Mother’s Ministry consisting of the wives of the Deacons and women with seniority rights.  These members were:  Viola Nelson, Sister Mary Potts, Mother Conyers, Mother Clarke-McCloud and Mother Etta Griffin.  Their duties were outlined by the chairman.

 Mrs. Mary McCloud was appointed President of the Deaconess Ministry.  In 1962, toward the end of her tenure, Pastor Bright appointed Mrs. Edna Garner President.  Mrs. Garner was a faithful and dedicated leader until failing health made her unable to continue.  Mrs. Mattie Herring became President after Mrs. Garner and Mrs. Rosa B. Young served as President following Mrs. Garner until her passing. Our current President is Mrs. Winette Blanding.

 

 

 


 


 

 

Comments are closed.